Derek is an Attorney with over a dozen years of experience in state and local tax. He assists clients in a variety of state and local tax areas including economic development and tax incentives, audit defense and managed audits, refund claims, and appeals. In addition to credits and incentives, he has particular experience with sales and use and gross receipts taxes.
Prior to joining the firm, Derek was State and Local Tax Planning Manager at a large, publicly traded company, where he was responsible for determining the impact of changing tax laws and proposed restructuring activities on the state effective tax rate, obtaining and maintaining incentives such as tax abatements, credits, and sales tax rebates, and integrating acquired companies into the state tax reporting process. Before that, he worked as a tax manager with a Big Four accounting firm, focusing on sales and use tax and the Ohio commercial activity tax, as well as the state tax implications of international planning. His work included research matrices and memos, large dollar refund claims including those based on Ohio’s multiple points of use provision, multistate nexus studies, voluntary disclosure agreements, and registrations. Derek also worked for the Ohio Legislative Service Commission, where he drafted bills and performed research for members of the Ohio House and Senate. Derek has published articles in the Journal of Taxation and the CPA Voice.
- Juris Doctor, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (2008)
- M.S. Accounting, State University of New York at Albany (2000)
- Ph.D. Philosophy, State University of New York at Buffalo (1995)
- Also Certified Public Accountant in Ohio
- Horizon Prison Initiative, Board of Directors and Treasurer (2016 – 2021)
- Jonathan Alder Music Parents Association, Financial Secretary (2019 – 2022)